Monday, June 14, 2010

Cycling and Hula Hoops (the NEW biathlon!)

Post Edit:  I rode 100 miles in the MS 150 on Saturday.  It was so much fun... the weather was perfect, the route was beautiful, my team was awesome (my husband and 2 good friends), we raised a ton of mula for the fight against MS... all in all a wonderful day.  Thanks so much to everyone who contibuted!

The winner of 2 custom made hula hoops is Heather who said, "What a wonderful idea. My kids love to hula hoop."  Let me know what sizes and colors and I will get them to you asap!



I am a total procrastinator.  I have a firm belief in 'why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?'  It usually bites me in the butt and this is one of those times.  If you don't know my history in cycling (and you care...) you can read it here.  I am signed up to ride my first century (100 miles) in the MS 150 in 11 days.  ELEVEN DAYS.  I think I am ready physically, almost.  I have been riding 30ish miles a day for the past week, and I am feeling sort of strong... mostly nervous, but Chad is going to do it with me, so I am sure it will be fine.  I hope it will be fine.  A friend just told me riding a century is like getting punched in the face, no one can ever REALLY be ready for it. Oh goody.  

I have one problem.  In order to ride in the MS 150 you have to raise a minimum of $250.00 for Multiple Sclerosis.  I have not done any fundraising... yet :) (I still have 11 days!).  So this is my little plea via my public blog for donations.  Sorry about that, I think I am pretty lame too.  BUT it is a worthy cause.  By clicking this link, you can make a secure, tax-deductible donation in any amount (ANY AMOUNT). All donations, big or small, helps to make a difference in the lives of people with MS. I seriously appreciate your support and look forward to letting you know if I survive! ...I do have an incentive AND a giveaway!

 


This year I started making homemade hula hoops.  These hula hoops are great for a few reasons,
1.  They are virtually indestructible- especially compared to a hula hoop you buy at Walmart, that might last for the afternoon, you will have this hula hoop for months and months. 
2.  They are heavy.  Again, compared to the cheap ones.  These have substantial weight which makes hula hooping much easier. 
3.  You can have them in any size.  Little ones for little kids (or big kid arms) and big ones for grown-ups.  I didn't think I could hula hoop before I made one my size, and now I can beat any kid on the street!


Everyone who leaves a comment (two chances if you leave a comment here and on facebook) is entered into a drawing for 2 custom made hula hoops!  AND Everyone who is generous enough to donate $25.00 or more to Multiple Sclerosis for my ride also receives a custom hula hoop!  Thank you so much for your help... the winner and next contest will be announced next Monday, June 21st.  Good luck!